Friday, January 2, 2009

Part 3 - Alexandria, LA cont.

We had a great time in Natchitoches on Monday evening, and then on Tuesday morning, Mrs. Suzy, Payton and I drove to Natchez, Mississippi to pick up Chad's grandmother, Mae. Her husband, Pop, was put into a nursing home about one year ago, so we were glad that we could see her and that she didn't have to spend Christmas in an empty house. On Christmas Eve we did some last minute shopping and went to the Christmas Eve service at Calvary Baptist church, where Chad's dad, Mr. David, is the pastor. It was a beautiful service and it ends each year by each family coming forward to light a candle on a huge candle tree that sits at the front of the sanctuary. Mr. David called us down first and Mae lit the candle for us. It was the first time that she had ever been to the Christmas Eve service at Calvary, so that was neat.

After the service, we drove over to Pineville to drive through Central Louisiana State hospital, an in-patient facility for mental health services. Every year they put out tons and tons of Christmas decorations - all hand-carved and painted by patients. It really is something to see! Unfortunately, I didn't bring the camera so I don't have any pictures. Chad's parents have been taking them to see these decorations since they were little kids, so it was neat to get to drive through and see them with Chad and his family.

I didn't sleep very well while we were out of town. I had these strange bouts of insomnia each night where I would wake up about 2:00am and then fall back to sleep around 5:00am. I think it was because I didn't have my little Emma to snuggle with - she's my usual sleeping pill! So on Christmas Eve, Mrs. Suzy gave me a sleeping pill and I was out like a light from 10:00pm - 7:00am. Things were a little fuzzy the next morning, but it was nice to get a solid night's sleep!

I love spending time with Chad's family. I love everyone in his family dearly and we always have such a great time when we are in Alexandria. But on Christmas day I felt really torn - I loved being with Chad's family and didn't want to leave them, but I also wanted to be with my family. But I knew that we would be driving to Clear Lake the next day, so that made things easier. Since we have been married, we have alternated back and forth as to which family we are with on Christmas day. Luckily, we have been able to go home for long enough stretches of time in late December/early January to where we are able to see both families. This is one of the reasons I am looking forward to moving back down south after seminary, so that we can see our immediate families more often, and also see our grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins more often as well.

A few pictures from Christmas day:Miles, Payton and Jay's 3-year-old German Shepard, gets
in the Christmas spirit with a red bow.

Dana, the Brooks' family dog, also in the Christmas spirit.

Mr. David, looking good in his new leather Harley jacket. He got a Harley Sportster
a little over a year ago, and now he is obsessed with all things Harley... when Chad and I found this little leather Harley Davidson cap for dogs at
Petsmart, we knew it would make a perfect gift for Dana!

Now, back to Houston for part 4!

No comments: