Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year Additions and Plans

Our friends, the Heron's, gave birth to their second beautiful daughter around 6:30am on New Year's Eve - welcome to the world Eloise!

Pictures and posts about Eloise and her big sister, Margot, can be found at Jason's blog at www.likethebird.blogspot.com

Having two weeks off from work has turned me into an absolute slug. I can't seem to get motivated to do anything! We were out of town and traveling for the first week, and it seems like I've spent this second week recuperating from our travels. I am really looking forward to getting back to work and getting into a consistent routine again. I am also excited about beginning my spring marathon and sprint triathlon training program on Monday, January 5th. My sister (her new blog can be found at www.texascrossfitter.blogspot.com) has started utilizing CrossFit workouts into her workout schedule. These are really intense workouts, but seem to be great for building endurance, strength, stamina and muscle tone. I am going to try and incorporate some of these workouts into my training this spring as well. I'm also hoping to pick up my rate of blogging as my training picks back up.

I'm really excited about training for a sprint triathlon. I've always said that I wanted to do triathlons, but I didn't have a bike and I didn't know how to swim. Well, now I have a great Specialized road bike and access to a heated indoor pool...so I don't really have any excuses any more to not do a triathlon. I think training for the Derby Festival marathon and the sprint triathlon at the same time will work well - the biking and swimming will help with my endurance and hopefully keep me from getting burnt out on running. The tricky part for me will be figuring out how I can run a long and steady pace for the marathon, and a fast pace for the triathlon's 5k. I'm hoping the speedwork I've incorporated into my marathon training will serve to help me in both the marathon and triathlon.

Chad and I had a wonderful Christmas with both of our families. My parents got us a gift that just keeps on giving - a great new digital camera! I am in love with it and we took so many pictures while we were in Houston, TX and Alexandria, LA for Christmas. I am going to be posting the pictures soon - it will probably take 3 or 4 posts to get them all on here! I'm hoping to get all of the pictures posted by the end of this weekend.

Happy new year!

No comments: