Sunday, February 18, 2007

Three Part Post: Part 2

(2) Saturday
Saturday started early with a 7:00am run to Wal-Mart. Next up was my long group run in Wilmore. Along with the start of the run came the start of the snow - I never thought that snow could be painful, but it hurts when it gets in your eyes. I had on so many layers - a tshirt, a longsleeve tshirt, a light jacket, a rain jacket, and a fleece jacket. By the third mile, I thought I was going to have a heat stroke. Luckily, the route passes right back by our cars, so I was able to shed a few layers as I was getting some water. We did seven miles this weekend and I felt really good during and after the run - minus the heat stroke part. After the run, I tried some Jelly Belly "Sportz Beanz." These are little jelly beans that are packed with electrolytes to replace all the stuff you've sweated out and to give you a quick boost of energy. I didn't plan on eating during the mini-marathon, but lately I've been re-thinking this decision. I can't handle eating gels and I don't have the pocket space to hold Powerbars, so I'm thinking these Sportz Beanz will be perfect. Plus, they taste really good. Next week I'm running eight miles, and I will start eating them at mile five. My guess is that they will give me more of a mental boost than anything, but I'll take what I can get.

After the run, some fellow runners and friends (Jeremiah and Lindsay) brought their little dog Jax over for a play-date with Emma. Let me tell you, those little dogs had so much fun together. Jax is a Lhaso Apso and he is so cute. Emma and Jax played pretty hard for two and a half hours - Emma was so worn out afterwards! She barely could lift her little head when I was giving her a kiss goodbye as we left to go to Wilmore Saturday night. Emma loves being around other dogs - but somewhere along the way she developed an Alpha Male complex. She's been known to stand up to German Shepards and Rottweilers, and she was pretty bold with little Jax, but I think it was all in good fun.

So, Saturday night we went over to Wilmore to play games with some friends (Peter, Jackie, and Maggie). Chad thought it would be a good idea to bring Yoo Hoo's and Peeps as snacks, and the Yoo Hoo's were a surprise hit. The Peeps didn't go over so well - and I have to admit that they are pretty disgusting. We played a game called "Apples to Apples" and it was so fun. We also got to talk Wilco with them - Peter and Jackie are pretty obsessed with them, too. We are really enjoying getting to know more people and develop friendships.

No comments: