Sunday, February 18, 2007

Three Part Post : Part 1

I've got a plethora of things to share from this weekend, so I am going to break this down into three posts: (1) my story for the week, (2) Saturday, and (3) Sunday.

(1) Story
I will preface this by saying that this is possibly my favorite story ever. An elderly lady had just finished her grocery shopping for the week and was loading her groceries into the backseat of her Buick sedan. She put the last bag in the car, and proceeded to return the cart to its proper place in the parking lot. As she walked back to her car, she pulled out a small kerchief from her purse to wipe the sweat from her brow. It was mid-afternoon in the middle of the summer, and the heat was almost unbearable. She climbed into the driver's seat of her car and started the engine. As she was reaching over to turn on the air-conditioning, she heard an extremely loud pop and felt a searing pain in the back of her head. She reached to feel the back of her head and she was horrified to feel a wet, mushy substance. Without much critical thinking, she quickly came to the conclusion that she had been shot in the head, so she laid her head on the steering wheel and prepared to die.

About 30 seconds later, a young man pulled into the parking space next to her. As he passed her car, he was alarmed to see the elderly woman resting her head on her steering wheel. He walked over to her car and knocked on her window. The woman, slowly lifted her head and looked at him. She rolled down her window and meekly said, "I've been shot in the back of the head." The young man looked at the back of her head and started chuckling. The wet, mushy substance on the back of the woman's head wasn't brain matter, but rather it was biscuit dough. The can of refrigerated biscuit dough in her backseat had exploded due to the extreme heat in the car, and it just happened to hit her square in the back of the head.

This story is so funny to me - and I think about it every time I see, make, eat, or buy biscuits. When I was in college, my friend (who was actually the person who told me this story) and I were Disciple Now leaders for a group of seventh-grade girls. As we were preparing the material for the weekend, we just knew that we had to somehow weave this story into our lessons for the weekend. We were able to use the story to illustrate something like 'you never know what life is going to give you' or something to that affect, and none of the girls thought that it was funny and/or applicable. Regardless, I still love this story.

No comments: