Saturday, June 20, 2009

Skelter for the Shelter 5k Race Report

A few weekends ago, I ran the Skelter for the Shelter 5k here in Nicholasville with my father-in-law, David (or Mr. David, as I like to call him).

The area had been deluged with rain Monday-Thursday, but the weather really cleared up and dried out on Friday and Saturday. Race morning was warm and clear, with not a cloud in the sky. Me, Chad, Emma, Mr. David and Mrs. Suzy loaded up and got to the race site about 30 minutes before the race start. The nice thing is that the site was only about 5 minutes from our house. I love this race because it is local, fairly small, and it raises funds for the Jessamine County Humane Society. Emma loved being at the race because she was able to sniff all kinds of new scents and meet new dogs...and ham it up for the crowd a little bit!

I had high hopes for myself for this race. The first year of the race, I placed 2nd in my age group and last year, I placed first in my age group. So I hoped to at least place in my age group this year, but I knew going into the race that my training wasn't really where I would have liked for it to be. At that point I really had been focusing on swimming and cycling, letting my running fall to the wayside a little bit. This race was definitely a wake-up call for me, and I'm now I'm really sticking to my running schedule and getting in good, consistent runs.

The field seemed to be a lot larger this year, which is great. I love when local races become more and more successful each year. Mr. David found out a few days before the race that his number had been picked in the New York Marathon lottery system, so we were all really excited for him. He was hoping that this 5k would be a good indicator of where he was, training wise.

At 9:00am we toed the line and then headed out onto the course. I was hoping to go under 25:00. The course is a fairly simple out and back, and I felt pretty good at the half-way point when I ran by and saw Chad, Emma, and Mrs. Suzy cheering for me. The course was moderately hilly, but nothing too extreme. The sun was out in full force and I was getting hot. I was wearing a dark gray t-shirt which was a mistake, but oh well. I finished in 26:15, which I was happy with. A ton of younger women finished in front of me, so I was pretty sure I wouldn't place in my age group. Mr. David had a good race, but he did say he was unprepared for the hills. Central Louisiana is extremely flat, so the Kentucky hills were new to him! He finished in right around 30:00 minutes - a great time!

After getting some water and cooling down a bit, we headed home to get cleaned up for the day. A few days after the race I got an e-mail from the race director, letting me know that Mr. David had placed 3rd in his age group! Chad called him to let him know and Mr. David was so excited - he said that he has never won anything in his life! We picked up his trophy last week and we will get to deliver it to him when we go down to Louisiana in July. Overall, it was a great race! It was definitely a good kick in my butt to make me get back in line with training!

A pretty good photo of a fairly un-photogenic duo!

Lining up before the race - me and Mr. David are right in the middle of this group.

This was at about the half-way mark - I'm just to the left of the photographer in the gray shirt

Happy finishers! (Emma didn't run, though!)

2 comments:

jen said...

Congrats to both of you!! Looks like you got a great day for it. Very solid finish time.

Megan said...

Haha - that picture of you mid-stride is too funny! Your legs look about 10 feet long! It also makes it funnier if I imagine that is what you would look like speed-walking.