Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Half-Marathon...T-Minus 4 days!

The countdown to my half-marathon has begun! In 4 days, I will be traipsing through Louisville, each step taking me closer to my goal of completing a half-marathon. I'm currently in the tapering phase of my training - this has its ups and downs.

It's good because I am getting to cut back on my mileage and rest up a little bit, but its bad because I have to pay a little more attention to the calories I'm bringing. It's easy to eat like a ravenous caveman when I am burning about 700 calories each morning, but since I've cut back on my work-outs, I need to make sure I don't pack on any extra weight that I will have to carry around with me on Saturday. My husband is an amazing cook and has been making me great meals this week (steak tacos, pork loin with cous cous...I know, I'm lucky!) and it has been relatively easy to eat healthy and be mindful of my portions. On Friday, Chad and I have been invited to a Lexington Legends (semi-pro baseball) game. My plan is to pick up my usual pre long run meal at Fazoli's (whole wheat pasta, tomato sauce, meatballs, ceaser salad, unsweet tea) and eat it on the way to the game.

Saturday morning, Chad and I will leave our house at 4:00am in order to arrive in Louisville at 5:45am. From there, I will pick up my bib number and race packet, hop a bus to the starting line, and then cross the starting line at 7:30am. I am very excited, but also very nervous about the logistics of being at all the right places at all the right times. However, that is to be expected since I tend to be a nervous person. Chad and I have a plan of how we are going to meet up at the end, and we can only pray that it will work out. The weather is supposed to be beautiful, and I have a feeling that everything will work out just fine. I keep trying to decide what I would like my post-race meal to be (after I gather up some goodies from the post-race party) and right now I really think I would like it to be McDonalds. There is just something about eating a double cheeseburger after a long run.

I also want to give a shout-out and wish good luck to all of my training buddies from Wilmore who are running in the Nashville Country Music half-marathon this weekend. I know that everyone will do well!

1 comment:

amberly said...

since i only run if i'm being chased (and by something big and frightening at that), i am in awe of runners. hope you enjoy McD's! :)