Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Vacation part 2

One of my favorite parts of the trip was getting to see my family in Shreveport, LA on a Tuesday afternoon. Unfortunately, I got a call from my cousin Emily on Monday afternoon letting me know that she wouldn't be able to make it to Shreveport. She and her husband had just returned from a trip to New York City with their youth group, where approximately 20 out of the 50 students contracted the swine flu!! What are the odds!? While Emily was not experiencing any of the symptoms, we all felt it would be too risky for her to possibly expose Michael (her sister Amy's 4th month old son) to the swine flu virus. It was definitely very depressing to not be able to see Emily!

But I was very glad I was able to see everyone else - my cousin Amy, her husband Tim and their baby Michael, my aunt Debbie, and my grandparents, whom we affectionately call Boss and Darling. My aunt Debbie fixed a delicious meal for us all, and it was nice to catch up with everyone, if only for a little bit. I wish I would have taken more pictures of everyone, but I was able to get one with Boss Darling:

Now that's a good looking group, if I do say so myself!

I headed back to Alexandria late Tuesday night (ok, it was 8:00pm) in a hellacious thunderstorm. I kept thinking I would drive through it, but nope - the storm was with me the whole way! To make matters worse, I was on the verge of running out of gas. The few gas stations I passed along I-20 were out of power and dark, so I didn't stop at them. I kept thinking "I just have to make it to Natchitoches!" and I did - with a few miles to spare. That was definitley an answered prayer.

On Thursday, my mom, dad, sister Megan, sister Michelle, neice Brittany, and "nephew" Pod arrived in Alexandria. It was so good to see them! We spent some time in the pool, and then went out for catfish, shrimp and po-boys that night.

On Friday, we had a birthday party for Brittany. In one of my last posts I said that I couldn't believe she was turning 10 - well, imagine my surprise when I found out she was turning 11! So yes, she is 11. That is crazy to me! We swam, cooked out hamburgers and hot dogs, had birthday cake and homeade ice cream, and opened presents. It was a great time! I was so happy that I could celebrate this birthday with her, even though we were one week shy of her actual birthday. It has really worked out in her favor - she has had three weeks of birthday celebrations!

Chad, manning the grill. This is such a good picture of him!

Brittany, getting ready to blow out the candles

Me ("Mer Mer") and Brittany

Opening presents - I found this Dr. Seuss hat in the "Dollar Spot" at Target and added it into her present - it was a surprise hit!

Brit with her spoils - crazy hat, Mario Kart for Nintendo DS, and a Webkinz bird

Megan with the hat, and Pod impersonating a flying squirrel

Chad and my dad - with that crazy hat!

We took several "family photos" - but I don't have any of them. Maybe if my mom is reading this (hint hint) she will send me some and I will post them here!

No comments: