Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Food, etc.

Well, I've come to a realization. I've got to get a handle on my nutrition if I want to drop a few pounds for the upcoming 5k/10k and marathon training season. I would love to lose 10 pounds over the next few months...but, unfortunately I eat like its nobody's business.

I have struggled for the past few years with eating healthy, filling, quick, easy and cheap meals. It's hard to find a lot of recipes that fit into all of those categories. I know they are out there - I just need to make the effort to find them, try them, and then incorporate them into our weekly meal plan. This meal plan currently doesn't exist - but it is something that I hope Chad and I can work on and establish this summer.

Last night at dinner, I looked down at my plate (which, ironically, was a paper plate in the shape of a pig) and realized that really I need to make a change. My meals for the weekend consisted of:

Saturday
Breakfast: Special K with skim milk
Lunch: 2 slices of leftover pizza
Snack: Handfuls (several) of White Cheddar Cheez Its
Dinner: 2 small pieces of bar-b-q pork, two heaping spoonfuls of Sarah's amazing potato salad, 3 dinner rolls, 1 small ear fresh corn, a chocolate Drumstick ice cream cone, 2 servings of cherry cobbler, and one piece of white cake with butter cream icing. Mind you, I was not sharing with anyone.

Sunday
Breakfast: Honey Nut Cheerios with skim milk
Lunch: One slice leftover pizza
PM Snack 1: Small cookie dough Blizzard
PM Snack 2: Cheese quesadilla with cilantro, salsa, light sour cream
Dinner (at about 9pm): Steak, macaroni and cheese

Monday
Breakfast: Huge cinnamon roll and latte at Main & Maple Coffeehouse with Chad
Lunch: No lunch - I was at the dog park with Emma from 11:30-1:00 and forgot about eating
Dinner: Hot dog, handful of Cool Ranch Doritos, half a tomato, and an Ale-8 soft drink

(Also - I try to always have either a bottle, cup, or glass of water with me at all times for hydration)

This is no way to live! I've got to get on track in order to fuel myself properly for my running endeavors. I've tried to make better choices today -

Tuesday
Breakfast: Honey Nut Cheerios with skim milk
AM Snack: Small carton of peach yogurt with almonds
Lunch: Turkey and Cheddar Lunchables, apple (and yes, I am currently coasting down off of a sodium high from that Lunchable)
PM Snack: Coffee light Starbucks Frappucino and 100 calorie Cheez-It pack
Dinner: TBA

It is 4:30pm and I feel very satisfied - not hungry at all. I guess that's a good sign!

Speaking of food, I've been thinking about all of the snacks that I loved growing up - but that are no longer available. Here is a short list of my personal faves that, unfortunately, are no more:
  • Breyer's Vienetta ice cream ( I felt so glamorous eating this fancy dessert)
  • Keebler O'Boises chips
  • Keebler Pizzerias chips
  • Rice Krispy Treats cereal
  • Dunkaroos
  • Planter's PB Crisp cookies
  • Fi-Bar granola bars
  • Crystal Pepsi
Do you have a favorite thing that has been put out to pasture in the snack graveyard?
...Or - a quick, healthy, cheap and easy recipes that you might want to share with me?

4 comments:

Mir said...

Someone else remembers Vienetta! I wondered if it was a figment of my imagination. This was a huge treat growing up, but of course I would beg my mom EVERY time at the grocery store.

My favorite meal is Monday dinner, I think...hot dog, Doritos and half a tomato...yummy ;) And Ale-8, yeah!!

For food: try black beans and brown rice mixed together, with steamed veggies of some kind on the side...filling and good for you (and cheap!). I also eat a lot of sweet potatoes. And I recently discovered flavored rice cakes...fairly low-calorie and a little less devastating to snack on. Good luck!

Megan said...

Cheddar Cheese flavored Quakes (by Quaker I believe) are delicious! Better than any chip and waaayy less fat/sodium. Sometimes hard to find but you can find them in the health food section of Kroger.

Also one of my favorite dinners is to take a can of pinto beans, a small amount of reduced fat cheddar cheese, sliced grilled chicken, and lettuce shreds and put in a bowl - baked Tostitos go well!

And Weight Watchers Smart Ones make great desserts - just enough to fill you up and satisfy a sweet tooth for only about 3-4 grams of fat!

I'm about to go on a MAJOR detox/clean for the next two months so I am in tip top shape for LA! Aah!

O'Boises!

amberly said...

i miss Cookies n Cream Twix, though i think i was the only one eating them. i also liked Zaps - chewy candy. ah, the memories

recipe: homemade salsa is just a big pile of fresh veggies (and you can make it as hot or as mild as you want) - chips and salsa make a pretty healthy snack that way. Ryan could teach you how to make it...

chad said...

I ate cookies and cream twix