Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Trainer

I love my bike trainer. I bought it (an Ascent magnetic trainer) from a friend of a friend this past fall for $100, and I think I've already gotten my moneys worth out of it. I've incorporated three training rides into my 2010 marathon training plan. Last summer and fall I found that riding and swimming really helped with my running, and so I want to utilize the bike as much as possible in my marathon training.

On Sunday I was scheduled to run 4 miles, but it was raining cats and dogs. So, I hopped on the trainer and busted out 45 minutes of intervals. I was absolutely drenched in sweat by the end, and I felt like I got a great work out in. The time flew by, too - thanks to podcasts and my Girl Talk mix. I did the same workout last night on the trainer, but this time I incorporated some time pedaling with only one leg, as recommended in the latest issue of Triathlete Magazine. Ay yi yi, that is hard! It was so hard to pedal with one leg. But, I could feel that it was really workin my legs and my core and by the end of my one-legged time I could tell that I was improving. So, those one-leg spins will get thrown into the trainer rides as well!

I am going to shoot for bi-weekly blog posts on Saturday and Wednesdays. In each post, I'll post my workouts for the week and other training news, plus life updates and any crazy stories that come along, too.

Here are my workouts so far for this week:

Sunday 1/17/10
  • 45 minutes on the trainer
  • Five minute intervals on the trainer: five minutes spin, then five minutes in a bigger gear at a faster pace, with a 5 minute warm-up and 5 minute cool-down
Monday 1/18/10
  • Distance: 4.38 miles
  • Time: 39:34
  • AP: 9:02
  • Notes: Mondays are normally rest days, but since I didn't get my 4 miles in on Sunday due to the weather, I decided to get the miles in on Monday.
Tuesday 1/19/10

AM Run
  • Distance: 3.27
  • Time: 27:24
  • AP: 8:22
  • Notes: After 1 mile in, I ran the remaining miles at 5k pace.
PM Trainer
  • 45 minutes on the trainer
  • 5 minute intervals again, plus 5 minutes (2:30 for each leg) of one-legged spins
Wednesday 1/20/10
  • Distance: 4.66
  • Time: 43:09
  • AP: 9:15
  • Notes: This was a scheduled 6 mile run that I had to cut short due to major GI issues
As mentioned above, my run today had to be cut about a mile and a half short due to some stomach issues. The problems plagued me during the whole run, which accounted for my slower pace. I kept thinking things would get better, but no. It finally became an issue of turn around and get home as fast as possible, or find a shrub. I didn't want to risk getting arrested for indecent exposure, so I hightailed it home, which was a feat in and of itself. That's probably TMI, but it can be a reality for runners! Now I know to make sure certain things have taken place before my mid-week longer runs!

Also, just another plug for my LIVESTRONG fundraising site. I encourage you to make a donation in honor of a loved one or friend who has battled with cancer. It is an awesome way to honor that person, and to help out other who are dealing with cancer!

1 comment:

eatingRD said...

I just got a bike trainer for my fiance and I and we LOVE it! especially since it was pouring cats and dogs this past week. Great workouts!