Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Half-Marathon Race Prep

In just three days I'll be running my 3rd Derby Festival MiniMarathon, and my OCD is in full swing. I've got my manila folder labeled and filled with maps, registration confirmations, packing lists, and driving directions. Do I need all of these things? Probably not. I've made lists, plans, Word documents, and an Excel sheet or two. I know this is not all necessary, but my mind is at ease knowing that I am prepared. Here's a small collection of my current lists:

I've got my Friday night dinner planned at Bucca di Beppo:
  • Potato gnocchi
  • Salad
  • Bread
  • Dessert: peanut M&M's

I've got my breakfast planned and packed:
  • Starbucks DoubleShot
  • 32oz Gatorade
  • Oatmeal Raisin Clif Bar
  • Banana
I've got my race day outfit picked out and packed:
  • Sporthill Pack Rat shorts
  • Gray t-shirt
  • Flying Pig hat
  • Mizuno WaveCreationsLink
And yes, bullet points and lists do seem to set my mind at ease and my heart aflutter.

But pushing all of my neuroses aside, I really am very excited about the race and getting to spend the weekend with friends. My dream goal is to finish in under 2 hours. The first time I did the Derby mini I did it in 2:22. Last year, my time was 2:02. I think that a sub 2:00 finish is definitely possible, but I will be happy to come in anywhere between 2:00 and 2:15.

I am really excited to spend the weekend with friends and to cheer Sarah on in her first half-marathon. I will put a post up on Sunday with my results and some pictures from the weekend. Good luck to all you other runners who are racing this weekend!

2 comments:

Joel said...

Good luck, Mer. It seems like you've got it all together. I'm sure you'll do great!

jen said...

Good luck! I'm just like you with the lists, lists, lists. Ha! You're going to do great. Can't wait to hear the results! :) Have fun.